Today, it has become a popular trend to work from home. We admit, it’s nice to wear pajamas all day and relish the flexibility of not having to wake up early to beat the morning traffic. While this can be awesome you run the risk of getting distracted easily. So, how do you remain focused with distractions like your children, pets, and your bed? Here are 5 ways to stay productive:
- Have a Schedule: It’s best to set up a routine so as to not find any excuse to slack off. Have a set time for breakfast and lunch. Make sure to stay on schedule.
- Boundaries: Keep your workspace separate from your personal space. It is sometimes tempting to think you can work from your bed but all it will do is reduce your productivity. Be sure to decorate your workspace so you look forward to working there
- Communication: The thing about working from home is you won’t be able to stop by a colleague’s desk to ask some questions. You can put it in your schedule to contact workmates and stay up to date on what is happening in the office. This would also indirectly have your colleagues be your progress checker and ensure you stay on track.
- Distractions: As much as possible keep distractions to a minimum. Do not spend hours creating a playlist. Pick an album and avoid making any changes for at least two hours. If you have children make sure to occupy them with tasks or have a relative come in to care for them while you work
- Breaks: It is important to take breaks at least every two hours. It may seem unproductive because you want to power through but it’s rather productive to take a break. It gives your mind time to rest and come back to work with a fresh perspective to a challenge. Be sure to not let the breaks run for longer that 30 minutes.
What are your thoughts on this? Please share them on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn.