Owning a home is one thing, furnishing the home is another. Every home has some household appliances that are essential for living. We have become so used to them that we cannot imagine living in a home without some of these household appliances. In this article, we highlight some household appliances we believe are must-haves in every home and some nice-to-haves as well.
READ ALSO: Furnished Houses for Sale In Ghana
The Oxford Dictionary defines a household appliance as:
“a device or piece of equipment designed to perform a specific task, such as cooking or cleaning, in the home.”
Household appliances have developed over the years. You might be surprised at some items within this list. Be prepared to find a variety of “unconventional” types of home appliances that are considered home appliances by definition.
Must-Have Household Appliances
Here is a list of some must-have household appliances. This list includes small home appliances, large kitchen appliances and even bedroom and living room appliances. You can be the judge of which of these appliances are the most useful home appliances.
Small Home Appliances List
- Blender – If you have ever spent time in a kitchen cooking, you will understand the importance of a blender. Blenders grind food within seconds and save minutes and energy that would have been spent doing that task.
- Standing fan – A fan which can rotate and be moved from room to room is a handy tool to have in a home. You never know where you will need to cool the air.
- Ceiling fan – The coolness a ceiling fan brings to a room is simply refreshing. With a touch of a dial, you get fresh, cool air circulating around the room.
- Toaster – Toasted bread always tastes better than regular bread to lots of people. In Ghana, we used to toast bread in a frying pan which was not the most ideal. A toaster toasts your bread evenly on both sides when done just right.
- Microwave – Sometimes, you just need to warm up or defrost a food item quickly. One of the best ways to do that is through a microwave.
- Oven – A hot oven is needed to bake the best of foods. Having an oven in the home will spice up your mealtime with different recipes and delicacies. Electric ovens can fit on a tabletop to properly grill your meat.
- Slow cooker – Food can sometimes take hours to prepare and as such require a lot of gas. Using a slow cooker will save resources and give you the finish you desire.
- Rice cooker – Rice cookers make cooking rice almost automated. You are not likely to burn the rice as it automatically regulates the temperature after your rice is well cooked to keep it warm until you are ready so you can concentrate on other food preparation tasks.
- Desk lamp – Having a desk lamp in the home allows you to work and read on a table at night without having to use the room light. This may allow you more focus if you’re the easily distracted type who may step away if other things are illuminated and catch your interest.
- Electric drill – A drill comes in handy when you need to put a hole in a wall for some small household refurbishing.
- Electric kettle – Getting hot water for a cup of tea can take time but not when you have an electric kettle. Get hot water within a minute with an electric kettle.
- Vacuum cleaner – Depending on the type of home you live in, a vacuum cleaner comes in handy for carpets.
- Laptop – A laptop is a computer which can perform tasks such as typing, watching videos, viewing images and more. It is quite a versatile machine which has become indispensable in modern life. At home, the laptop can be connected to other household appliances like the speakers, TV, WiFi, Phones, etc for your benefit. A very useful central processing unit for the many various functions within the household.
- Iron – The iron is one of those appliances you don’t notice until you need it. Get your clothes looking crisp with a good iron in your home.
- Sewing machine – If you have a home full of children, having a sewing machine always comes in handy. Use it to fix simple tears and even to sow new clothes if you have the skill.
- Clock – The wall clock is normally located in the living area and it displays the time. It’s a simple appliance the importance of whose function may have been diminished by the many digital devices we have these days which display time. However, it is still highly useful when those devices are not handy or when those (such as your phone) devices’ battery dies out.
- Mixer – This kitchen appliance helps in food preparation by mixing food in a large bowl. Use it to get the smoothness you require in your food.
- Speakers – Speakers amplify sound in the house and help create the atmosphere within the home. Get yourself some good speakers and enjoy.
- Multi-socket – This is one of the most underrated household appliances. A multi-socket is needed in all things electronic within a home so make sure to get multiple-multi sockets within your home for easy connectivity.
Large Household Appliances List
This list is full of electronic appliances that are large and useful to have in the home. They are normally stationary and hardly ever moved.
- Refrigerator – Every house needs a refrigerator to preserve food items, chill your drinks, etc. You might find fridges in the kitchen or the living room of households.
- Air conditioner – The heat in your home can be quenched with an air conditioner. Get one to stay cool within your home all the time.
- Desktop computer – If you like playing games or working then you will need a computer. A desktop computer remains in one part of the house so you can easily work from home with it.
- Television – The general belief is: the larger the TV the more enjoyable it is to watch. Get yourself a TV with great functions so it can interact with other devices in your home and further improve the experience.
- Stoves – A gas or electric burner stove is highly needed in the kitchen where all the cooking for the home is done. A stove with at least 2 burners would be able to cook most meals within a home.
- Dishwasher – No one likes washing the dishes so we have an appliance that is designed specifically for this purpose. Get a dishwasher to gain more time after meals.
- Freezers – A fridge can store food for a while but a freezer freezes food so it is preserved even further. You will normally find freezers in the kitchen.
- Washing machine – If you like wearing clothes rather than washing then you need a washing machine. There are different types of washing machines for different purposes. Find one that will suit your household.
- Dryer – A dryer is used to dry clothes within a short period of time. Traditionally, clothes are dried out in the sun but with a dryer, you may not even need to step outside.
- Water dispenser – Water is life and what better way to quench your thirst than with purified water from a water dispenser. You can also get cold and hot water instantly from a dispenser.
Nice-To-Have Household Appliances
- WiFi router – Most people have a phone and are connected to the internet through their phones. Having a WiFi router at home allows you to be connected to the internet wirelessly. This is good for your phone battery.
- A.I voice assistants – With the growth of Internet of Things, smart homes employ new technologies like Google Assistant and Amazon Echo to serve as your personal AI voice assistant in your home doing tasks at the command of your voice. Almost like a sci-fi movie.
- Coffee maker – If you like to take coffee from the source, having a coffee making machine in your home will appeal to you. Get your coffee fresh from the cocoa bean.
- Kitchen hoods – The kitchen hood is a modern-day chimney that extracts smoke and odour that is normally associated with cooking. You will normally find it above the stove.
- Outdoor grill – During the summertime when the sun is shining, it is always nice to sit outside and have a barbecue on an outdoor grill.
- Video Game – There are many video game options from the PlayStation, Xbox or Nintendo. Whichever one you want to use in your home is entirely up to your preferences. They do help a great deal in killing boredom at home though.
READ ALSO: 7 Steps To Register Land In Ghana
We hope you enjoyed the home appliances images and information within this article. You can check with electronics shops for a home appliances list with prices you can find and buy in Ghana. You can always buy or rent a fully furnished home which comes with most of these household appliances for your benefit.