Imagine coming home with a guest one hot Sunday afternoon, only to realize that your sitting room has a funny odor? I’m sure you would be quite embarrassed as you seek a can of air-freshener and can’t find any. Don’t sweat it, we bring you a few tips on how to use natural items around the house to deodorize and leave your home smelling nice.
- Lemon and cinnamon: Lemon and cinnamon make a good combination for driving foul smells from the house. Cut up the lemon into small bits and put in a pot of water. Add the cinnamon, leave the pot uncovered and let it simmer on the very low heat. The heat releases sweet scent all around the house.
- Baking soda: Your number one cleaning agent can also double up as a deodorizing agent, soaking up foul smells. Put some baking soda in bowls and place them around corners of the house. Wiping tabletops with baking soda also helps to eliminate odor.
- Oats: Not only is a bowl of oats quite nutritious, it can also take away foul smell from around the house. Just like the baking soda, leave a bowl of oats around the house to deodorize it.
- Coffee: Good old coffee keeps you awake and neutralizes the bad smell. And for those who love the smell of coffee, it’s got a sweet smell.
- Fabric softener: Fabric softeners can also serve as air-fresheners. Simply put a cap of the fabric softener in a pot of water and allow to simmer just like you did with the lemon and cinnamon. Enjoy the sweet smell that fills the house.
Written by Nancy Ewurum. Nancy is a young and ambitious lady with a passion for creative writing and social entrepreneurship through software development. Currently enrolled in the Meltwater Entrepreneurial School of Technology, Accra, she writes in her spare time. You can connect with her on Twitter.